This guide is to help new players understand the basics of this game. (Getting Started, Loot, Playstyles, Inventory, Powers, Combinations) I will continue to improve on this guide as I play the game. Any feedback would be much appreciated.I used wikipedia to make the chart for the Whalebone Charms.
When starting this game there is a combination of ways to play it. Which come down to killing or stealth however do not let the achievements influence your playstyle. It is best to play the game how you like the first time. If you really want to go after achievements you should do so through your second time. Since stealthing the game for example will give it a completely different experience from the result of lower chaos.
Chaos is something that will effect the environment and the obsticles you face. It is something you should keep in mind when playing. More chaos means more weepers and rats because of the plague spreading as a result of your actions.
When you go after the major two achivements remember that you need to do everything perfectly as in (not being spotted or kill anyone). This will influence the way you play however it does provide a nice experience despite the massive amounts of times you will indeed load the game.
Keep in mind that most achivements come from just playing out the events differently and ending up with seperate results, so the achievements go hand in hand with the replayaibility. It is best not to cheat yourself and load your save before an event just to get the reward cheaply.
There is money scattered throughout the levels and their importance really depends on the way you are playing the game.
Contains items of great value, the safes codes are usually hidden throughout the levels. Read any notes you can find around the safe to get clues. Make sure to also talk to NPC’s since they can provide you with info on the safes also. The hints/npcs need are usually near the safe itself.
The more aggressive the playstyle the greater the variety of weapons/powers that will be useful to you.
Default Power: Blink
Stealth – no kills
Stealth – Kills
No stealth – Kills
City Watch Pistol
- Regular Bullet – Very loud ammunition
- Point at enemies and right click to hear stories about NPCs.
- Use to track down Runes & Artifacts.
Corvo’s Folding Knife
- Used to silently kill people.
- Crossbow Bolt – Quiet can sometimes can taken back from the dead bodies.
- Incendiary Bolt – Immolate a single enemy
- Sleep Dart – Puts enemys to sleep after a short delay
- A tool used on technology to turn it on your enemies.
Example: If you use rewire tool on the wall of light guards who go near it will get killed.
- Device unfolds with an audible click and its sharp wires snap outwards wildly, eviscerating anything in the vicinity.
- You can trigger by hitting it with a shot from either the crossbow or (possibly bottle.)
- Will stick to any surface and explode after a few seconds. (can be cooked)
- Explode after a few seconds. (can be cooked)
- Restores mana
- Restores health
– coming soon
Rank 1: See people/animals through walls and their sight cones, and sounds your character makes.
Rank 2: See resources marked green and machinery/traps marked blue.
- Makes it easier for you to plan out when exactly to make your move and is very important for timing.
Rank 1: Rapidly move forward or upward.
Rank 2: Increased movement distance in all directions
- This skill is misguiding in the sense that when you think “teleport” you do not consider the objects in your path. If you try to cast a blink behind a wall of light you will get hit because you are not teleporting but moving rapidly.
Rank 1: Possess rats, fish and hounds.
Rank 2: Also possess people (can’t make them attack or user powers)
Rank 1: Slow time for about 12 seconds
Rank 2: Freeze time (can pluck fired projectiles out of midair).
Rank 1: Blast back groups of foes (non-lethal), break doors, blast bolts back at foes.
Rank 2: Kills foes if blown against solid objects
Rank 1: Summon rats to kill people nearby, or eat bodies.
Rank 2: Summon more rats
Rank 1: More Health
Rank 2: Health Regeneration
Rank 1: Higher jumps, and less damage from falls
Rank 2: Faster running, climbing, and swimming
Rank 1: Brutal melee kill animations
Rank 2: Kill Multiple foes
Rank 1: Unaware foes turn to ash when killed
Rank 2: All foes turn to ash when killed
Activate Power: Devouring Storm
Artifact: Gutter Feast
- Equip artifact that makes you able to eat white rats for mana
- Close doors and make sure the rats are not near unconscious bodies so you wont fail the (kill no one) achievement if your after it.
- You can recharge your mana to full with this method.
Activate Power:Time (Rank 2)
Passive Power: Shadow Kill
Passive Power: Agility (Optional)
- By using rank 2 of time the enemys wont be alerted, and can be killed just by rushing up to them.
- Shadow kill allows you to kill enemies and have their bodies disappear with makes stealth alot easier if you don’t mind killing people.
- Agility is optional and will simply make you able to close the distance between enemies faster allowing you to either retreat quicker in case other targets are to far away to go after or you simply want to have the ability to kill a crowd quickly.
Active Power: Possession
Active Power: Devouring Swarm
- Cast devouring swarm on enemies to make them gather around one area.
- Cast Possession to take control of one of the rats or humans so you can just run into an area that was evacuated thanks to the rats.
Delete or move the files you tampered with (the ini files located in your my games folder in documents)