Every companion in Fallout: New Vegas has a quest associated with him/her. This guide cover’s Raul’s (unmarked!) quest.
You will be speaking with the following three NPCs:
– Ranger Andy, Novac
– NCR Corporal Sterling, Camp McCarran (or Camp Forlorn Hope, but see Issues section)
– Loyal, Boomers
If any of these three are dead the quest will be failed. You will also need to have Raul in your party (obviously).
For best results, you will also want to make sure the following conditions are met:
– You have NOT completed “Volare!”
– You have NOT started “I Don’t Hurt Anymore”
– You have NOT completed “Three Card Bounty”
– You have NOT spoken with Ranger Andy AT ALL (or at least you haven’t learned the Ranger Takedown unarmed move)
Note that even with these conditions the quest may fail to operate correctly. See the Issues section for a fix.
Actual Quest Walkthrough
- Speak with Loyal, Corporal Sterling, or Ranger Andy. (order is irrelevant)
- Exhaust all main dialog topics. (This may include repeating lines you’ve heard before.)
- Wait for Raul to initiate dialogue with you. In the case of Ranger Andy, you must leave his house first.
- Pick a dialogue option. Your dialogue choices affect the end result of the quest.
- Repeat for the other two NPCs.
Your choice in dialogue affects the perk added to Raul after the quest’s completion. If you convince him to go back to gunslinging ways, his fire rate will increase by 33%. If you convince him to contribute in not-so-gunny ways his weapon decay slowdown will increase from 50% to 75%. His default outfit will also change, however as far as I know this is purely cosmetic. If you mostly choose neutral answers you may be unable to complete the quest. The end of this quest also affects his slides at the end of the game.
- If Corporal Sterling has been reassigned to Camp Forlorn Hope after completion of “Three Card Bounty”, it may be impossible to initiate dialogue with him. He’ll just echo off a generic one-liner (of the “patrolling the Mojave” sort).
- Loyal, for some unknown reason, may be at Black Mountain instead of in Nellis AFB like he belongs.
- Even if you’ve never met Ranger Andy before recruiting Raul, it is possible that speaking with Ranger Andy does not cause Raul to speak with you after leaving the house.
- Do NOT fast travel until after you’ve waited for Raul to speak with you. It may be slow, just give him a minute.
- To put Loyal back where he belongs, go to Nellis (anywhere’s good, he’ll figure it out), and enter the following console command:
- If Corporal Sterling has been transferred to Camp Forlorn Hope and won’t actually speak with you, it may be possible to fix by spawning a copy of Driver Nephi and allowing the rangers to kill him. Use this console command:
- If all else fails, use the relevant console command to manually update the quest for each person and possibly cause Raul to speak to you:
set “000e61a5”.MetRangerAndy to 1 set “000e61a5”.MetCorporalSterling to 1 set “000e61a5”.MetLoyal to 1
- If even that fails, try the command again, but this time change the 1 to a 2. Then open dialogue with Raul (“Talk To” on the companion wheel) and choose the relevant dialogue option.
This guide is based off information from the Vault[www.falloutwiki.com].